The “Activities” feature in Discord voice channels allows community members to play games and watch YouTube videos together. This article will provide an introduction to how to use the “Activities” feature to initiate games, as well as present the currently available 14 mini-games.
If you’re interested in learning how to synchronize and watch YouTube videos online with friends, you can refer to the tutorial in the article below.
Further Reading: Using Discord to Synchronize and Watch YouTube Videos with Friends
How to Start a Discord Activity?
First, join any voice channel in a Discord server. You will see a “Start an Activity” button next to the “Share Your Screen” button. Click on it to see the available games and activities.
Starting an Activity
Discord’s game menu is regularly updated over time. Currently, most games require a Nitro membership to initiate, but Discord also periodically offers limited-time access to certain games for regular members to start. Games that are already initiated can be joined by all members for gameplay.
Further reading: What are Nitro、Nitro Basic and Nitro Classic
You need to agree to the authorization of each activity before starting it.
Agree to Authorization
How to Participate in Discord Games?
In a voice channel, you can see ongoing activities by others. Click “Join Activity” to participate. If the game is already full, you might become a spectator, but there’s a chance to join subsequent games.
List of 14 Discord Games (In Alphabetical Order)
Currently, there are a total of 14 games released by Discord:
- Blazing 8s: This game is similar to UNO, and can have up to 8 players. The first player to empty their hand wins.
- Bobble League: This is a strategy sports game that can have up to 8 players. The team with the highest score wins.
- Checkers in the Park: This is a checkers game that can be played with just 2 players.
- Chess in the Park: This is a chess game that can be played with just 2 players.
- Color Together: A doodle game where up to 100 players can color sections based on numbered blocks in a picture.
- Gartic Phone: This is a game of drawing and guessing, and can have up to 16 players.
- Jamspace: A shared whiteboard where participants can type, doodle, or paste GIFs. Content is cleared when the activity ends, with no participant limit.
- Know What I Meme: This is a game similar to charades, but with meme images. Players choose the most appropriate GIF that best expresses a given scenario, and all players vote for the best meme. It can have up to 9 players.
- Land-io: This is a territory game similar to Snake, and can have up to 16 players. The player who occupies the most squares within the time limit wins.
- Letter League: This is an English spelling game that can have up to 8 players. Each player is randomly given English letters, and they must form words by sliding them in the grid. The player with the highest score wins.
- Poker Night: This is a Texas Hold’em style game that can have up to 7 players.
- Putt Party: This is a putting game for golf, and can have up to 8 players. Players use the mouse to adjust the strength and direction of the ball to get it into the hole in the fewest strokes and in the shortest time possible to win.
- Sketch Heads: This is a game of drawing and guessing, and can have up to 8 players.
- SpellCast: This is an English spelling game that can have up to 6 players. Players form meaningful words by connecting the letters on the board. The player with the highest score after several rounds wins.
Building a healthier Discord community
Discord was originally created as a gaming voice system but later became the first choice for game players to communicate as a community platform. Nowadays, many non-gamers are also developing their own communities on Discord, and community managers are often struggling to come up with more fun activities to enhance interaction among members.
Nowadays, Discord brings gaming functions directly into the server, which not only adds a way to kill time but also provides more opportunities for community members to communicate and interact through gaming activities. However, this feature is still in the testing phase, and we can look forward to future developments together.